Book jackets. Born 1905 in Berlin. Daughter of the publisher S. Fischer. Student of Emil Rudolf Weiss. Married Gottfried Bermann (who later took the name Bermann Fischer); they both managed the firm from 1934 upon the death of S. Fischer, but emigrated 1935 to Vienna after Nazi pressure upon the firm. April 1936: founded Bermann-Fischer Verlag in Vienna. 1938: emigrated to Sweden, founding a publishing firm-in-exile there. June 1940: family crossed USSR, sailing from Japan to Los Angeles. Sept. 1940: family settled in Old Greenwich, Conn. Designed jackets for family firms of Bermann-Fischer, Vienna, and, after emigration, L.B. Fischer Publishing Corp. of New York. 1947: Brigitte and Gottfried became U.S. citizens. Died 28 May 1991.
- Sie schrieben mir, Zurich: Classen, 1978 (p/b: Munich: Deutscher Taschenbuch, 1981)
- Briefwechsel mit Autoren (written with ), Frankfurt a.M.: S. Fischer, 1990
- 1986. ,
- Bedroht – Bewahrt, Frankfurt a.M.: S. Fischer, 1967 ,
- S. Fischer Verlag (exh. cat.), Marbach: Deutsche Schillergesellschaft, 1985 and ,
- Deutsches Literaturarchivs, Schiller Nationalmuseum, Marbach (inc. archives of Fischer family).