Born 4 May 1892 in Elbing. First interested in painting. 1907-13: studied at Breslau Akademie under Hans Poelzig. 1921-5: had advertising studio in Breslau. 1928: founding member of the ring ‘neue werbegestalter’ (circle of modern advertising designers). From 1926: head of the graphics department, Hochbauamt, Frankfurt a.M., designing for the municipality. 1945-7: worked in planning department, City of Berlin. 1948-59: head of the applied art department, Werkakademie, Kassel. Designed mosaics for the Westend Synagog, Frankfurt a.M. 1952: designed German exhibition at Lisbon International Exhibition. Died 22 March 1962 in Frankfurt a.M. His sister Grete (1893-?) was a well-known photographer.
- Die Form, 1928, pp. 220-21 (stationery for Frankfurt a.M.)
- Gefesselter Blick, Stuttgart: Zaugg, 1930, pp. 61-3 (repr. Baden, Switzerland: Müller, 1996) ,
- Ring ‘neue werbegestalter’. Amsterdamer Ausstellung von 1931 (additional on title page: ‘“Typographie kann unter Umständen Kunst sein”’) (exh. cat.), Wiesbaden: Museum Wiesbaden, 1990 , and others,
- 2000, esp. pp. 156-62 ,
- Modernism, London: V&A, 2006 (h/b, p/b). (ed.),
- Landesmuseum, Kassel, 1948.