Woodcuts, lettering, book design, typography, wall hangings, sculpture. Born 14 January 1923 in Leipzig. Apprenticed as cartographer at the Bibliographical Institute, Leipzig. Studied at the Academy, Leipzig. Military service as a cartographer; met Rudo Spemann who was also a military cartographer and who interested Schmidt in lettering. C1945: worked in Leipzig as a cartographer. 1947-51: studied lettering and book design at the Leipzig Akademie für Buchgewerbe und Graphik: a teacher was Egon Pruggmayer. Schmidt also studied typesetting, printing, bookbinding and woodcuts. From 1951: typographer at the Eggebrecht-Presse, Mainz. From 1957: taught typography at the Werkkunstschule (later: Landeskunstschule für Buchgewerbe), Mainz. 1963-83: taught book design and lettering at the Werkkunstschule (later; Hochschule für Gestaltung), Offenbach a.M. From 1980s: produced sculptural lettering (see Schmidt, 1988, below). 1988: living in Offenbach a.M.
- Texts in Lettering by Hans Schmidt (exh. cat.), Wolfenbüttel: Herzog August Bibliothek, and Offenbach a.M.: Klingspor Museum, 1988. ,
- 1962 ,
- 1963, pp. 248-9 ,
- Lettering by Hans Schmidt (exh. cat.), Wolfenbüttel: Herzog August Bibliothek, and Offenbach a.M.: Klingspor Museum, 1988 (includes exhs., group exhs.) ,
- ‘20th century German Lettering’, Dot the I, London: Letter Exchange, 1991
- Schriftliches von Hans Schmidt, Bergisch Gladbach, 1992. ,
- ‘Alphabetic reliefs’, novum, April 1971, pp. 34-7 ,
- Klingspor Museum, Offenbach a.M., 1956, 1959, 1961
- Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1961
- Gutenberg Museum, Mainz, 1963
- Klingspor Museum, Offenbach a.M., 1970
- University of Mainz, 1981
- Herzog August Bibliothek, Wolfenbüttel, 1988, then to Klingspor Museum, Villa Zander, Bergisch-Gladbach, then 1988-89 to University of Texas at Austin, San Francisco Public Library, Creative Resource Gallery, Hallmark Cards, Kansas City, Missouri, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY.